Moving in the Off Season
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
The off season for moving, October through May, can provide customers with some benefits and discounts that aren't available during the busy season. At the same time, not everybody gets to pick what time of year they will be moving, but it helps to understand the benefits and drawbacks to off season moving regardless, so that one can be informed and prepared for what may lie ahead.
Pros of Off Season Moving
If you get to decide what time of year you will move, there are plenty of reasons to choose the off season. The main benefit of using a moving company during these months is that they may have more wiggle room in their schedule to offer you increased flexibility. Other benefits to choosing the off season include:
- Potential for faster deliveries due to reduced traffic
- The opportunity to request a specific moving agent or mover
- Potential discounts and flexible pricing options
- Reduced cost of storage facilities
- Extra attention from movers and moving companies
- The lowest real estate housing market costs of the year
- Increased flexibility in scheduling and capacity for last-minute adjustments
Overall, moving in the off season can save you a significant amount of money. Additionally, moving during your child's winter break can prevent unneeded academic interruptions. Winter break may offer fewer days to coordinate a move but doing so during the off season can ensure that your kids don't miss out on classes or extracurricular activities during the school year.
Cons of Off Season Moving
Although October through May can sometimes offer lower prices, more flexibility, and greater attentiveness from moving company staff, moving in the off season can also produce its own challenges. Weather conditions can cause moving headaches that may not justify the savings. Additional considerations include:
- More mud, dirt, and debris to track inside while moving
- Hazardous road conditions and increased need for safety precautions
- Moving plans can overlap with the holidays
- More work to ensure utilities at new place are ready to go
- The disruption of kids' school years and challenges with adjusting to new environments
- Difficulties selling current home at higher value
When moving to or from an area that experiences snow regularly, make sure you take preventative measures for your personal vehicles as well. Installing snow tires and snow chains can prevent your car from losing grip on icy roads, and refilling de-icing agents for your windshield can help you maintain visibility. Carry a window scraper and ensure that you have a roadside emergency kit in case unforeseen circumstances arise.
The Bottom Line
If you are willing to deal with some of the setbacks that off season moving can bring, it can be an excellent choice for those who are looking to save money, have extra flexibility, and for more attention from movers and moving companies.
How A-1 Freeman Moving Group Can Help
At A-1 Freeman Moving Group, we take pride in our ability to provide excellent service at an affordable price throughout the entire year. Whether it's residential or commercial moving, across the street or across the country, we can help you move as efficiently as possible. If you're ready to schedule your free in-home estimate, please contact us today.
Request a free quote