By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Moving day can be challenging for anyone, and extremely stressful if it is not planned correctly. Injuries often occur during DIY moving jobs, and especially when people are rushing to get the job done quickly. Injuries also commonly occur when people move appliances or heavy furniture that should be moved by more than one person. Make your moving day less hectic by hiring a moving company
, with professional movers help. By planning ahead, packing early, and using these five tips, you can avoid unnecessary injuries on the day you move.
- PHYSICALLY PREPARE: No, you don't have to do push-ups or run laps around the block. This tip encourages you to hire professional movers. Hiring a moving company guarantees that you will have additional help from professionals, who specialize in organizing, lifting, and time management. Professional movers can carefully pack your home, disassemble furniture, and securely wrap your most fragile items. Having professional movers on hand on your moving day is a great way to avoid injuries. They can handle all the heavier items, leaving the lighter items and simple clean-up to you.
- HAVE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT: Using proper moving equipment is one of the best ways to avoid injuries on moving day. When contacting the moving company, make sure that they will be bringing equipment that will make the move easier, like an appliance dolly. Not only will this help the movers, but the equipment will also save you time, as items can be moved at a faster pace.
- DON'T OVERPACK BOXES: Filling every nook and cranny of your boxes might seem like a good idea, but making them too heavy makes them harder to lift, and puts a strain on the legs, arms, and back. An injury is unavoidable if you lift more weight than you can manage. It also makes the job more difficult for anyone who is helping you to complete the job. Pack boxes correctly, making sure the weight is evenly distributed, so that your professional movers can work quickly and efficiently on that day.
- LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS: This is a Moving 101 tip from any professional mover or moving company. 'Lift with your legs, not with your back' is a common lifting technique and is one of the best ways to avoid injury to your neck and spine. Maintain a wide base of support, placing your feet shoulder-width apart and flat on the ground. Next, bend down into a squat so you are mainly using your legs as you move upward. Lastly, keep your back straight, and breathe as you lift the item.
- KEEP ALL PATHWAYS AND WALKWAYS CLEAR: Although this may seem like something simple, many people are injured by tripping over smaller items on moving day. Avoid a stubbed toe or chipped tooth from an unnecessary fall by keeping all paths free from clutter. When moving heavy objects, it is difficult to see what is in front of you. Avoid any accidents by preplanning what is the easiest way to walk when moving your items. It is especially important to have a clear route when removing large boxes or items from your home to the truck or your car. Remove any extension cords, loose items, or pets that may directly block the walkway. By putting safety first, you minimize your chances of being injured.
Hiring a moving company with professional movers is one of the best ways to save time and avoid injuries on moving day. Contact us today for a free quote and making your move as stress free as possible.
Request a free quote